CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Renewed Passion for Classroom Management!

Part of my new teacher orientation this week was watching some of the Harry Wong videos on being an Effective Teacher.  Since this will be my 9th year of teaching I have probably seen these videos at least 3 times.  But I was amazed today about how excited I am to have a clean slate and start fresh that first day laying out all my procedures and routines.  And just how important the success of your year is based on those first few days.  Click on the pic below if you'd like to order the book from Amazon.

I always think of the first day and all I have to share with them, train them on, review, etc.  So this year I decided I am going to make a list of all my procedures and keep them on a clip board with me on the first few days.  So as things come up I can check them off.  There is just NO WAY I can fit it all in a plan book and I know I will forget something! Harry Wong even says there is NO WAY to cover everything on the first day, only cover the things that will really happen and then cover other things as they come up.  Here's my list of procedures and I would LOVE to have you help me add to my list:

  • Morning Work
  • Lining Up and Walking in Line
  • Bathroom
  • Sink Usage
  • Turning things in
  • Coming to the carpet - going back to your seat
  • Lunch
  • Handing out playground equipment
  • Getting Supplies

Another big one is how to get the student's attention without flipping off the lights, raising your voice, or asking a million times.  What is your tried and true trick for refocusing your class?  Here are some our group of new teachers came up with:

  • 1, 2, 3, Eyes on Me
  • SALAME - Stop And Look At ME
  • Quiet Sign
  • Give Me Five
  • Waterfall - teacher says "Waterfall" and students make a "whoosh" noise and use hand motions as if making a waterfall.
Can't wait to hear what all of you have to offer for Classroom Management Tips.  As Harry Wong says, "Great teachers beg, borrow, and steal the good ideas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment