CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Launching the Daily Five

Last year I was "encouraged" to use the Daily Five in my classroom. I am not one for change at the beginning of the year, but I have to say after I read the book and tried it, I LOVED it! It is a great management tool for running guided reading in your classrooms. I was also lucky enough to hear "The Sisters" in person in Phoenix for training! The most important thing I took away from it was that this is a management system that you can make your own! Do what fits your teaching style the best. For me, I can get through about 3 or 4 rotations a day.

Launching the format is probably the most important thing to do right off the bat.   Getting the students to really buy in to why we read is the key! I got some great ideas from Mrs. Meachum's website for resources and pacing to get it all in those first few weeks. Here is something I created as homework for the kids and parents that was a great springboard for class discussions and lessons. I will be posting LOTS more about the Daily Five as I try to constantly improve it in my classroom....it is defintely a work in progress! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment